arts + culture
For The Wall Street Journal:
– That time Wu-Tang Clan’s GZA made an album about science, with a hand from Neil deGrasse Tyson.
For The Atlantic:
– What exactly was Julian Schnabel trying to accomplish with Miral, his ham-handed attempt to make a film about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict?
For The New York Times:
– How The Strokes and their ilk reinvented the rock star crush in the early aughts.
– I crunched numbers to see whether female art dealers are more likely to show female artists (hint: yes).
– I explain why old women – like Carmen Herrera, triple-digit old – have become the art world’s darlings in recent years.
– Prize-winning photographer and filmmaker Lauren Greenfield captures the corrosive effects of money in her book and exhibition “Generation Wealth.”
– Here’s how legendary New York dealer Jeffrey Deitch seamlessly married the worlds of art and finance.
For T magazine:
– Laszlo Jakab Orsos on organizing the PEN World Voices Literary Festival (no, he doesn’t read every author’s book)